17.10.05

The Continuing Saga of Jack Thompson

"I'm not interested and won't be commenting on the mod. The satirical piece entitled 'A Modest Video Game Proposal' was intended to highlight the patent hypocrisy and recklessness exhibited by the video game industry's willingness to target cops, women, homosexuals, and other groups with some of their violent games. To be fair, though, you can't expect a bunch of gamers to understand the satire if they think that Jonathan Swift, the author of 'A Modest Proposal,' is the name of a new Nike running shoe...

...I will say this though, the 'video game community' (what's next, 'the necromancy community'?) surely seems exercised about someone who is a 'joke' and who is accomplishing nothing. You all seem rather bothered and worried about a nonentity. God is in this battle, and I am privileged to be a foot soldier. You all should be concerned, not about me, but about Him."

--Jack Thompson, in an email to Game Politics.

Yup. The gamers did it. They took Thompson idea and ran with it. A group of modders known as the Fighting Hellfish (I'm not linking, as their server is down, apparently due to high bandwidth usage. I guess that makes sense, they did make the front page of Slashdot.) made a Grand Theft Auto mod, complete with Jack Thompson look alike as the main character.

Alas, Thompson won't pay up. As you can see above, he's trying to pass the idea off as a joke. And that gamers are too stoned to catch his sublime comic genius. And of course, it typical fashion, realizing that he got caught, he uses the opportunity to throw around more insults.

But, have no fear, Gabe and Tycho are here. They've stepped in and donated $10,000 to the Entertainment Software Association Foundation. In Thompson's name. These guys are quickly becoming my heroes.

As a side note, while I was doing research on Thompson, I found that this is the same guy that sued 2 Live Crew for obscenity in the '80s.

1 Comments:

Anonymous Sothenna said...

Just stopped by for the first time, and I have to say I like the post. It may not get the full extent of Jack's insanity across, but it's a good start. :) Seriously though, I think this is a revolutionary idea...if you do something wrong, just blame everyone else and completely avoid responsiblity. Ahh, the sweet smell of a scapegoat...

11:46 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home